For illustrated talks on natural history and history see www.peterlovetttalks.co.uk

For illustrated talks on natural history and history click here for www.peterlovetttalks.co.uk

Saturday 20 June 2015

Dragonflies and Damselflies this month in West Sussex

The prenuptial acrobatics of this pair of Large red damselflies went on for 20 minutes or more at my garden pond in Cuckfield, when I got bored and went for lunch,  A rival male was lurking in the background. 
Whether this is the same pair egg laying after my lunch, we'll never know.


It is always a pleasure to see a male Broad-bodied chaser charging around a garden pond.
The more so when it is so relaxed to allow a camera lens of a modestly-priced Panasonic Lumix camera to get within a few inches to take a close up of its face.

Not the prettiest mugshot perhaps to human eyes!  But look at the facets of his wrap-around compound eyes with 360 degree vision.  And that bristly stubble on his powerful jaws!  It's enough to turn any damsel(fly)'s head.

Many Coenagrion puella, Azure Damselflies, breed in my stagnant garden ponds.  I have yet to see a Common Blue Damselfly in my garden.

 Common Blue Damselflies were common in the Loder valley, yesterday however where there is slow moving water; a male above and a female below.

Also in the Loder valley yesterday was this aptly named Blue-tailed damselfly, Ischnura elegans.


Lurking deep in the grasses was what might have been a Small Red damselfly.

There were other Hawkers and chasers flying around, which I was unable to photograph.
A fascinating insect family don't you agree?

My thanks are due to Pam Taylor at the British Dragonfly Society for assistance in identifying some of the above.  Should you like to know more about these amazing insects please see   http://www.british-dragonflies.org.uk/content/membership

In my series of nature talks, I also have a presentation module on dragonflies.  Please see www.peterlovetttalks.co.uk

No comments:

Blog Archive