For illustrated talks on natural history and history see www.peterlovetttalks.co.uk

For illustrated talks on natural history and history click here for www.peterlovetttalks.co.uk

Tuesday 29 March 2011

Newts' feeding frenzy in a Sussex pond

Some days ago, in this small pond in my garden, a lump of bread was deposited.  My guess was that it was a crow that dunked it there -- just as some humans dunk their biscuits in their tea.  Crows are crafty things.  They wade in my pond and eat tadpoles when there are any to be had.
This afternoon the newts were going crazy for this, by now decomposing bread.  You must excuse the flare from my camera flash.  Without a Polaroid filter this was the only way to get a picture.
Such voracious eaters may also have played a part in the disappearance of the tadpoles that were recently added to this pond.  There is no sign of them at all now.  Where have they gone?  What ate them?  Did they die of disease?  I don't know.

No comments:

Blog Archive