For illustrated talks on natural history and history see www.peterlovetttalks.co.uk

For illustrated talks on natural history and history click here for www.peterlovetttalks.co.uk

Monday 9 August 2010

The sexual acrobatics of Small white butterflies.

The tenacity of the Small white butterfly is to be admired.
Click on any picture to expand it.
An amorous pair settled on a sedum plant in my garden for this shot.  The male is on the right.  Males usually are aren't they.... right that is?
That's supposed to be a joke ladies!
My lens was a bit too close for comfort, it seemed and they flew off; still joined together.
The female decided that this seed head was a good perch and landed with the male in "the trapeze position".
With the lens just inches away, I went for a different angle.
Look no hands!  Then they went all shy and flew off again - still coupled the whole time - for about a 20 meters flight.
They alighted on the comfortable surface of a sunflower leaf, only to be disturbed once more by me.  I gave up the chase at this point when they flew off another 20 meters or more.  Little do they know that I shall scrape off their fertilized eggs from my brassicas with my thumbnail tomorrow.  But then I don't think they care too much about that.

No comments:

Blog Archive