For illustrated talks on natural history and history see www.peterlovetttalks.co.uk

For illustrated talks on natural history and history click here for www.peterlovetttalks.co.uk

Wednesday 3 June 2009

A benefit of letting garden borders run to seed.

Goldfinches love seeds, including cornflowers above and dandelions. So should you welcome colourful birds in your garden, be slow to pull out plants that have "gone over" and learn to love dandelion "clocks". Goldfinches do.
There are some birds that are not welcome, however. Gangs of wood pigeons devour my vegetables in minutes. Imagine my reaction on May 12th this year to seeing three peacocks eyeing my garden from the garage roof! I chased them off and took the picture below when they landed on a roof 200 yards away. I hope that they will not return.

No comments:

Blog Archive